Saturday, May 30, 2009

Multiplayer Ports

Your multiplayer examples use port 8087. Is that required, or can I change that? Is there any importance to it?

- Anonymous


If you recall my multiplayer design series, the example code I published used port 8087. There is no real significance to this port. I just thought it had a nice ring to it. :)

In general, you can change the port to whatever you want. However, you should avoid ports that are used for other services. If the port is already in use, errors could occur. The ports used by system services and common programs should never be used. These are all ports in the range of 1-1023. To find a port that is unregistered or used by an exotic program, I use this Wikipedia article. As you can see, port 8087 is actually registered to some other programs, but they are not very common.

This article is a reply to an email. If you would like to ask a question or suggest a new article, email me. blake.oxx@gmail.com (remove the dot)

No comments: