Sunday, October 04, 2009

SixDegreeSteam Mailbag

Any updates on SixDegreeSteam? You said you would keep us posted, but it's been a while since I heard anything.

- Anonymous


Work and college stuff has been keeping me pretty preoccupied, so I havent had time to do a whole lot with SDS lately. Im currently working on a low-bandwidth method of transferring data between the clients (slave threaders) and server. I also hope to post another article about the technical goodies behind the project, like what exactly a slave threader is. In the meantime, Ive been considering multiple web hosting opportunities to run the SDS server on. I think I will also use the space to start work on the full-fledged BlakeNet (under a different name, as I said before). I still have no word from Valve about using Steamworks or the acceptability of the bandwidth costs on their end. Ill have to shoot some more emails later.


Could I convince you to make SDS open-source?

- Anonymous


I have never been one to hold source code for personal projects from anyone interested in reading through it. However, I will have to keep it under wraps until development has ceased and I feel confident with its efficiency. Shortly after the project goes main-stream, the source code will be readily available for all to enjoy.

This article is a reply to an email. If you would like to ask a question or suggest a new article, email me. blake.oxx@gmail.com (remove the dot)

No comments: