Wednesday, November 14, 2007

BlakeNet

Saturday, November 3rd, I got bored and decided to completely clear off one of my old computers, install Linux, and get a server going. The next day, I installed and configured Apache, PHP4, and MySQL. What took me two weeks to post this? Well, Ive been busy working with the hardware of the machine.

The computer did not have an Ethernet adapter, so I got one from one of my dad's old work machines. The problem is the adapter is ISA, which Linux doesnt exactly like, and the ISA port seems to have issues with the adapter plugging into it fully. Either of these could be the cause of the problem. So, after two weeks of fighting it physically and digitally (with the immensely appreciated help of the LaunchPad help group), I have finally reached boiling point and trashed the card. Now, Im looking for a PCI Ethernet adapter.

In the meantime, I will be working offline with LeetBoard and a couple of my site concepts. When I find the adapter, you can check out the progress first-hand. The server, and inheritantly the website from which all of this material will be available, will be refered to as BlakeNet. Yes, its a pretty lame name. Ill come up with a better one when I have time to stop and think about it.

No comments: